All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNothing affects modern society more than the decisions made in the marketplace, especially (but t only) the judgments of consumers. Stehr's designation of a new stage in modern societies with the term moral markets signals a further development in the social evolution of markets. Market theories still widely in use today emerged in a society that longer exists. Consumers were hardly in evidence at all in early theories of the market. Today, growing affluence, greater kwledge, and high-speed communication among consumers builds into the marketplace tions of fairness, solidarity, environment, health, and political considerations imbued with a long-term perspective that can disrupt short-term pursuits of the best buy. Importantly, such social goals, individual apprehensions, and modes of consumer conduct become inscribed today in products and services offered in the marketplace, as well as in the rules and regulations that govern market relations. Stehr uses examples to illustrate these trends and build new theory fitting today's changing consumerism.
- Author BiographyNico Stehr is Karl Mannheim Professor of Cultural Studies at the Zeppelin University, Friedrichshafen, Germany. During the academic year 2002/2003 he was Paul F. Lazarsfeld Professor at the University of Vienna. Among his recent book publications are Knowledge and Economic Conduct: The Social Foundations of the Modern Economy (University of Toronto Press, 2002).
- Author(s)Nico Stehr
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/01/2008
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.