All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe time is the fourteenth century. The place is a small town in rural England, and the setting a sw-laden winter. A small troupe of actors accompanied by Nicholas Barber, a young renegade priest, prepare to play the drama of their lives. Breaking the longstanding tradition of only performing religious plays, the groups leader, Martin, wants them to enact the murder that is foremost in the townspeoples minds. A young boy has been found dead, and a mute-and-deaf girl has been arrested and stands to be hanged for the murder. As members of the troupe delve deeper into the circumstances of the murder, they find themselves entering a political and class feud that may undo them. Intriguing and suspenseful, Morality Play is an exquisite work that captivates by its power, while opening up the distant past as new to the reader.
- Author BiographyBarry Unsworth (1930-2012), who won the Booker Prize for Sacred Hunger, was a Booker Prize finalist for Morality Play and was long-listed for the Man Booker Prize for The Ruby in Her Navel.
- PrizesShortlisted for Man Booker Prize for Fiction 1995.
- Author(s)Barry Unsworth
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication19/07/1996
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight190 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.08
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $34.27Trending at AU $40.32
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.