More Laughter in Appalachia by Loyal Jones, Billy Edd Wheeler (Paperback / softback)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe phemenal success of Laughter in Appalachia, Loyal Jones' and Billy Edd Wheeler's first collection of humor (w in its twelfth printing), says something about the importance of humor in our lives, and the talent Jones and Wheeler have in finding the best of it. More Laughter in Appalachia, their fourth collection of Southern mountain humor, may well be their funniest and most comprehensive collection to date. Packed with humorous jokes, anecdotes, poems, riddles, and song, t to mention a nineteenth-century sermon a backwoods political speech, and a comical arrest warrant, this collection is thick with artifacts of Southern wit. Whether you are interested in humor as part of our cultural heritage or you just want a good laugh, you will find this mountain of Southern humor heartwarming and sidesplitting.
- Author BiographyLoyal Jones Bio: Jones was born in Marble, Cherokee County, and lived there until he was 12, when his family moved to Brasstown in Clay County. We were farmers, living on rented land, he said. One of eight children, Jones served a brief stint in the Navy after high school, and then worked as a farmer and horse trainer before enrolling as an undergraduate at Berea College. Jones began writing in college, but did not publish until several years later. He has been a prolific writer with literally dozens of published articles concerning Appalachian culture and its people to his credit. One characteristic of Jones writing is optimism about the resiliency of mountain people and their culture, says Ron Eller, former director of the Appalachian Center at the University of Kentucky. Jones message has been that Appalachia should be judged by its own core values - family, land, traditionalism - rather than by more mainstream values of accumulation, wealth and power, Eller said. In many ways, he represents the best of Appalachia, the part of Appalachian society that values people for what they really are. In his years of writing and speaking about the region, Jones has become one of its best-known and best-loved figures. In addition to the numerous articles he has written about Appalachia, he has also authored nine books, including multiple volumes on regional humor.
- Author(s)Billy Edd Wheeler,Loyal Jones
- PublisherAugust House Publishers
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Series TitleAmerican Storytelling (Paperback)
- Place of PublicationLittle Rock
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAugust House Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.