All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe industrial food system has created a crisis in the United States that is characterized by abundant food for privileged citizens and food deserts for the historically marginalized. In response, food justice activists based in low-income communities of color have developed community-based solutions, arguing that activities like urban agriculture, nutrition education, and food-related social enterprises can drive systemic social change. Focusing on the work of several food justice groups - including Community Services Unlimited, a South Los Angeles organization founded as the n-profit arm of the Southern California Black Panther Party - More Than Just Food explores the possibilities and limitations of the community-based approach, offering a networked examination of the food justice movement in the age of the n-profit industrial complex.
- Author BiographyGarrett M. Broad is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University.
- Author(s)Garrett Broad
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication26/01/2016
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleCalifornia Studies in Food and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number60
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note10 b/w line art
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.