All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the Lati/a population of the United States has exploded since the 1960s, an analysis of its place in the history of American sport has, until recently, been sorely underrepresented. The thoughtful and coherent essays in More Than Just Peloteros demonstrate that participation in sport and recreation develops identity and involvement in the lives of Spanish-speaking people throughout what is w the United States. The articles feature accounts of eras and events as varied as the Lati experience itself, including horse racing in colonial San Antonio, boxing in New York City, baseball in the barrios of 1930s Chicago, basketball in a 1950s Arizona mining town, and, of course, high school football in South Texas. As the nation's demographics continue to change, more and more Latis/as will, undoubtedly, leave their marks on the fields of athletic competition at levels ranging from the local to the professional, the business offices of franchises and colleges, and as general consumers of American sporting events and goods. This volume recognizes and encourages the role that sport and recreation play in the day-to-day existence of Spanish speakers in the United States.
- Author BiographyJorge Iber is a professor of history and associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Texas Tech University, USA. Over the past 10 years, he has written and published widely on the topic of the participation of Latinos/as in the history of U.S. sports.
- PublisherTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleSport in the American West
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Content Note24 black & white photographs
- Weight617 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byJorge Iber
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.