Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.26New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.75New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.87
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
About this product
- DescriptionAs a pianist, Rosenthal was unparalleled: his legato touch came from Chopin through his pupil Mikuli; his awareness of composition was developed by Liszt; his Brahms interpretation shaped by the composer himself; and his ingeniously crafted pia-paraphrases memorialized his friendship with Johann Strauss II. Yet Rosenthal's pianistic abilities were married to a rare intellectual erudition-a kwledge of literature, history, philology, science, philosophy, and society that few pianists have ever matched, let alone surpassed. In these striking pieces, we see every facet of Rosenthal: memoirist, social critic, pedagogue, and virtuoso. He could write with gravity and pathos, yet his famous and sometimes devastating wit is legendary. This volume combines Rosenthal's writings with critical assessments of the pianist by such contemporaries as Eduard Hanslick, Edward Prime-Stevenson, and Hugo Wolf. It is rounded out with an illuminating preface by Charles Rosen, perhaps Rosenthal's most rewned pupil; a discography and concertography; and a CD featuring never-before-released Rosenthal recordings.
- Author BiographyMark Mitchell is the author of Virtuosi and Vladimir de Pachmann both published by Indiana University Press. He is the recipient of a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship for 2006-2007. Allan Evans is the founder, owner, and producer of Arbiter Recording Company. He lives in New York City.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication03/11/2005
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note9 b&w illus.
- Weight508 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAllan Evans,Mark Mitchell
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.