All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionFrom 1945 to 1990 communist East Germany was an officially atheistic state. Nevertheless, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints practiced their religion there. Mormons as Citizens of a Communist State is based on primary sources---government and church documents, interviews, and private leters ---to create a documentary history of the church during that historical period.The history of church-state relations begins with attempts to terminate the church's legal status in the early 1950s, continues with the building of the Freiberg Temple from 1983 to 1985 (the only LDStemple ever built in a communist state), and concludes with the historic meeting in 1988 between current LDS Church President Tomas S. Monson and Chairman Erich Honecker that permitted the entry of LDS missionaries from the West.The relationship between the Latter-day Saint citizens and their atheistic government is a major theme of this book. Did church members manage to be true to their faith and simultaneously function as citizens within that state, and if so, how did they achieve that balance?Mormons as Citizens of a Communist State was originally published in German in 2008 by Leipzig University Press.
- Author BiographyRaymond M. Kuehne was born in New York City of German immigrant parents and has studied as a Fulbright Fellow at the University of Marburg and as a National Woodrow Wilson Fellow at the University of Virginia. He served in the North German Mission and the Freiberg Temple Mission. Mormons as Citizens of a Communist State was originally published in German in February of 2008.
- Author(s)Raymond Kuehne
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/05/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width175 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byRonald Smelser
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.