All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn expanded edition of revered theorist Michael Lowy's Morning Star: Marxism and Surrealism (previously published in French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and Greek), this masterwork collects the author's essays on the ways in which surrealism intersected with a variety of revolutionary political approaches, ranging from utopian ideals to Marxism and situationism. Taking its title from Andre Breton's essay Arcane 17, which casts the star as the searing firebrand of rebellion, Lowy's provocative work spans many perspectives. These include surrealist artists who were deeply interested in Marxism and anarchism (Breton among them), as well as Marxists who were deeply interested in surrealism (Walter Benjamin in particular). Probing the dialectics of invation, diversity, continuity, and unity throughout surrealism's international presence, Morning Star also incorporates analyses of Claude Cahun, Guy Debord, Pierre Naville, Jose Carlos Mariategui and others, accompanied by numerous reproductions of surrealist art. An extraordinarily rich collection, Morning Star promises to ignite new dialogues regarding the very nature of dissent.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL LOWY is Research Director in Sociology at France's National Center for Scientific Research and the author of several books translated into twenty-eight languages, including The Theory of Revolution in the Young Marx and Fire Alarm: Reading Walter Benjamin's On the Concept of History. He has been a member of the Surrealist Movement since the 1970s. Born in Brazil, he now lives in Paris.
- Author(s)Michael Lowy
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleSurrealist Revolution Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note55 b&w illus.
- Weight369 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Introduction byDonald LaCoss
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.