All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZygmunt Baumana s new book is a brilliant exploration, from a sociological point of view, of the a tabooa subject in modern societies: death and dying. The book develops a new theory of the ways in which human mortality is reacted to, and dealt with, in social institutions and culture. The hypothesis explored in the book is that the necessity of human beings to live with the constant awareness of death accounts for crucial aspects of the social organization of all kwn societies. Two different a life strategiesa are distinguished in respect of reactions to mortality. One, a the modern strategya , deconstructs mortality by translating the insoluble issue of death into many specific problems of health and disease which are a soluble in principlea . The a post--modern strategya is one of deconstructing immortality: life is transformed into a constant rehearsal of a reversible deatha , a substitution of a temporary disappearancea for the irrevocable termination of life. This profound and provocative book will appeal to a wide audience. It will also be of particular interest to students and professionals in the areas of sociology, anthropology, theology and philosophy.
- Author BiographyZygmunt Bauman is the author of a number of other books including the extremely successful Modernity and the Holocaust (Polity, 1989) which won the 1989 European Amalfi Prize for Sociology and Social Theory, and Modernity and Ambivalence (Polity, 1991). He was also awarded the Theodor W. Adorno prize for 1998.
- Author(s)Zygmunt Bauman
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication08/10/1992
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.