All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionL. J. Vicat's investigations into the nature and use of limes first appeared in this English language edition in 1837 translated by Captain J. T. Smith, with the inclusion of extensive tes on developments in England at that time. Vicat's work is of immense interest and importance as it critically reviews the practices of time, sifting the good ones from the bad by careful experiment. In addition he was able to take developments in lime a stage further, describing very simple procedures which would make it possible to assess the nature of lime from any deposit encountered. The classification which he prepared is still valid today and enables the best possible use to be made of any lime, particularly for hydraulic works. Despite being first published over 100 years ago, this is a very readable volume, and it will t just be of interest to conservation professionals and construction historians but everyone involved in the use of lime in buildings.
- Author BiographyIn 1812 L. J. Vicat, as an engineer in the France of the Napoleonic wars, began research into the nature and use of limes, particularly their use in hydraulic engineering works. By 1818 he had made sense of a complex subject and he presented a publication Recherches Experimentales sur les Chaux de Construction, les Betons et les Mortiers Ordinaires to the Institut de France - Academie Royale de Sciences. Ten years later, in 1828, he reworked that text to include notes on further major investigations, particularly those of other French engineers.
- Author(s)J. Hawkesworth,J. T. Smith
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/1997
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDonhead Publishing
- Content Note111 black & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.65Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.