All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Harvey uses four characters that are important symbols of religious expression in the American South to survey major themes of religion, race, and southern history. The figure of Moses helps us better understand how whites saw themselves as a chosen people in situations of suffering and war and how Africans and African Americans reworked certain stories in the Bible to suit their own purposes. By applying the figure of Jesus to the central concerns of life, Harvey argues, southern evangelicals were instrumental in turning him into an American figure. The ghostly presence of the Trickster, hovering at the edges of the sacred world, sheds light on the Euro-American and African American folk religions that existed alongside Christianity. Finally, Harvey explores twentieth-century renderings of the biblical story of Absalom in William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom and in works from Toni Morrison and Edward P. Jones. Harvey uses t only biblical and religious sources but also draws on literature, mythology, and art. He ponders the troubling meaning of religious freedom for slaves and later for blacks in the segregated South. Through his cast of four central characters, Harvey reveals diverse facets of the southern religious experience, including conceptions of ambiguity, darkness, evil, and death.
- Author BiographyPaul Harvey is a professor of history at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, USA. He is author or editor of numerous books including Freedom's Coming: Religious Culture and the Shaping of the South from the Civil War through the Civil Rights Era and The Columbia Guide to Religion in American History.
- Author(s)Paul Harvey
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleMercer University Lamar Memorial Lectures
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 52
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note8 black & white photographs, 1 map
- Weight259 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.