All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIraq is a land of great antiquity which has endowed it with a rich cultural heritage. Situated in the fertile alluvial plain of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, it became the centre of several table Mesopotamian civilizations, namely, Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian, Sassanian and Islamic Abbasid. The Old City of Mosul represents a unique concentration of monuments and groups of buildings of historical, architectural and archaeological interest. Among the major cities of Iraq, Mosul retains the largest traditional nucleus. While the value of certain historic buildings is slowly being recognized, the many fine traditional houses, which are well-planned to meet social and climatic needs and contain a wealth of fine decoration and craftsmanship, t only go unrecognized but are under threat of decay and demolition. This study is particularly concerned with such houses. This book is concerned with conservation in Mosul Old City, especially with the magnificent traditional houses which are under threat of demolition. The appalling and increasing destruction of Mosul's unique heritage is mainly being caused by an official action. The book concludes with general and specific recommendations on the need of greater action and a more systematic comprehensive approach to protecting, documenting and enhancing the cultural heritage of the nation, the creation of a conservation authority, the need for greater allocation of funds and the training of staff for this specific type of work. Meanwhile, this book is a useful resource book in Urban Planning and Architecture as well as for professionals in planning and engineering. The book has been reviewed by 3 high professional and scholar figures (their reviews are inside the block). The script of this book came from the background of large experience and field surveys documenting the heritage in Iraq; as well as serial lectures in teaching Conservation and Urban Design courses in many universities for many years.
- Author BiographyThe author has a professional and academic experience of 30 years, works as an architect, urban planner, and an associate professor and has taught at various universities in 14 years; he has published more than 27 papers in conferences and journals. Falah's work is related to urban studies of land development, urban renewal, housing, heritage environment management, urban design and architecture. With varied experience in professional consultancy, teaching and academic research, bridges theory and practice, pedagogy in teaching and is a professional in heritage environment and design consultancy. Falah born in Falluja-Iraq and graduated with a B.Arch. in architecture from the University of Baghdad, a MA degree in town and regional planning from University of Sheffield, and a PhD. in conservation and urban renewal with a good experience in conservation of heritage projects, educational facilities, and comprehensive development city planning. Falah has also designed and supervised over forty projects, including architecture, urban design, and land development. His consultant experience has been given to the international organization like GTZ and the United Nations like (ESCWA), UNDP, and the UN Habitat. He is presently working as development advisor for the Ministry of Municipalities and Agricultural Affairs, in Bahrain.
- Author(s)Falah Al-Kubaisy
- Date of Publication04/09/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight445 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.34
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.