Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood by Joanne Eicher, Lisa Ling (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $9.90+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a compelling exploration of all things female, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride celebrates the defining connections among women and hors their differences. Each chapter reveals the actions through which a woman connects with herself, with her family, with members of her community, and with other women from quinceanera parties commemorating a Hispanic girl turning 15, to pre-wedding henna ceremonies in the Middle East, where the hands and feet of the bride and her party are lavishly painted for her special day. Readers also will learn about such American traditions as the debutante ball, as well as the coming of age rituals of Mende girls in Sierra Leone. Gorgeous photographs from the National Geographic archive portray these women and their customs across time and around the world. Remarkable stories and anecdotes from anthropologist Joanne Eicher complement the profiles written by Lisa Ling, who as host of the weekly television program National Geographic Explorer, has traveled the world, observing and documenting rituals both ancient and emerging, from her exceptional perspective as a journalist. Together these accomplished authors provide a fascinating look at the historical, cultural, emotional, and personal impact of women's rituals and ritual practices. Provoking a range of emotions reverence, sadness, joy, and shock Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride puts women in perspective in the modern world, in multiple situations and on all levels.
- Author BiographyJoanne B. Eicher, Regents Professor of the Department of Design, Housing and Apparel at the University of Minnesota, co-authored a recent text, The Visible Self, and edited or co-edited the following books: Fashion Foundations: Early Writings on Dress (2003), Dress and Gender, Dress and Identity, Beads and Beadmakers. She lives in St. Paul, Minnesota. Lisa Ling, host of the National Geographic Channel's Explorer, takes on challenging assignments that immerse her in far-flung places and cultures. Previously, she was co-host with Barbara Walters of ABC's popular morning talk show, The View. She is a frequent guest on Oprah, where she discusses international women's issues.
- Author(s)Joanne Eicher,Lisa Ling
- PublisherNational Geographic Books
- Date of Publication03/02/2006
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Geographic Books
- Content Note130 colour photos
- Weight1160 g
- Width257 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.