All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionThis brief but ambitious book explores our relationship with nature through the imagery we use when we talk about Mother Nature. Employing the critical tools of religious studies, psychology, and gender studies, Catherine M. Roach examines the various manifestations of nature as mother and what that idea implies for the way we approach the natural world. Part One, Nature as Good Mother, discusses the tion that nature is, or is like, a beneficent and nurturing mother who provides and maintains life. In studying the green slogan Love Your Mother, Roach questions the effects-for women and for the environment-of imputing female gender to nature. She asks us to look at the associations that motherhood and mothering carry within a culture still shaped by patriarchy. She tes the danger of such an apparently pro-environmental slogan if mother evokes the bountiful, self-sacrificing provider who herself requires care. Part Two, Nature as Bad Mother, looks at the contrary tion of nature as a violent, threatening, and wrathful mother. This image arises most often when humans and techlogy are depicted as masters of unruly nature. Here Roach draws on theological reflection to analyze this ambivalence toward nature manifested in a fantasy that casts humans as gods. She explores the contributions of eco-theology and eco-psychology to a heart of darkness perspective. Finally, Part Three, Nature as Hurt Mother, looks at possibilities and pitfalls of environmental healing inherent in the image of nature as a mother we have wounded and w seek to heal.
- Author BiographyCatherine M. Roach is Assistant Professor of New College and Religious Studies at the University of Alabama.
- Author(s)Catherine M. Roach
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/01/2003
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note12 b&w photos, 1 figures, 1 bibliog., 1 index
- Weight331 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.