All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen The Leavenworth Case, Anna Katharine Green s first vel, was published in 1878, it quickly became a bestseller as well as a seminal work of detective fiction. Critics were to perceive Green s work as the link to Edgar Allan Poe in the American line of classic detective fiction. But the development of serial detectives is perhaps her greatest achievement. (Ebenezer Gryce of the New York Metropolitan Police, who makes his first appearance in 1878, precedes Sherlock Holmes by almost a decade.) In examining the life and works of Anna Katharine Green, one discovers a slice of American life: in the social events of New York City, in the plight of young working women, in the moral dilemmas of upright citizens pursuing the American dream.
- Author(s)Patricia D. Maida
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2006
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationBowling Green
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBowling Green University Popular Press,US
- Content Noteport.
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.