All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.79Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis book takes a fresh look at women in their maternal role. In the twenty-first century, with its frenzy and heterogeneity, where the mixture of modernity and post-modernity is not without danger, motherhood cannot escape the impact of social and cultural transformations. Psycho-history, the accumulation and variety of psychoanalytic theories of femininity and motherhood, the contribution of gender studies, cross-disciplinary research, and listening to what our patients have to say all this has yielded, in the past few decades, much controversial data that challenges orthodox classical thinking on the role and function of women as mothers.Mothers in the twenty-first century confront us, both in clinical practice and in theory, with fascinating challenges that, to some extent, subvert the traditional maternal ideal: the motherhood of single women; motherhood in which the mother-child relationship seems minimal (in the case of very busy working mothers); teenage motherhood in which there is no true awareness of the maternal function; motherhood in couples of homosexual women; men who take upon themselves the maternal function (men-mothers); complex motherhood by virtue of the multiple variants which have nowadays become possible thanks to new reproductive techniques; shared motherhood; surrogate motherhood; sublimated motherhood; and perverse motherhood.The Contributors: H. Harsch, Giovanna Ambrosio, Estela Welldon, Toni Heineman, Ehrenfeld Diane, Joan Raphael-Leff, Ruth Axelrod, Leticia Glocer, Sylvie Faure-Pragier, Guignard Florence, Mariam Alizade, Bleichmar Emilce, and Teresa Lartigue Leisse de Lustgarten.
- Author BiographyMariam Alizade MD, is a psychiatrist and training analyst of the Argentine Psychoanalytic Association. She is the current overall chair of the IPA Committe on Women and Psychoanalysis (COWAP) and former COWAP Latin-American co-chair. She is the author of a number of titles, including 'Motherhood in the Tweny-First Century'; editor of the IPA-COWAP series and of the collected papers of the COWAP Latin-American Intergenerational Dialogues.
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitlePsychoanalysis and Women Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight358 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byMariam Alizade
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.