Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines representations and explorations of travel ideals in contemporary international cinema. It assembles work from a diverse range of academic fields including anthropology, sociology, ethgraphy, cinema, culture, tourism, communication and language studies, with contributions from international experts such as Mary Louise Pratt of New York University, whose work on 'contact zones' continues to provide the framework for scholarship on travel writing around the world. The volume explores the link between filmed spaces and real locations, with one of the fundamental dynamics being the investigation of filmmaking itself, and in particular the tion that cultural authenticity may be sought and found by filming 'on location'. Also examined are the tions of fantasy and exoticism that arise through an idealisation of the locations themselves and their transformational impact on the protagonists who travel there. Such is the impact of motion pictures on contemporary culture that these travel ideals in film will inevitably influence our understanding of cities, regions, nations and cultures; indeed, the world around us and our role in it.
- Author BiographyGemma Blackwood is Lecturer in Communication Studies in the School of Creative Arts and Humanities at Charles Darwin University. Andrew McGregor is Lecturer in French Studies in the School of Languages and Linguistics at The University of Melbourne.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication01/07/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleFilm Cultures
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight340 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byAndrew McGregor,Gemma Blackwood
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.