All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe human nervous system-that most complex organization of energy and matter-has yielded a few glimmers of understanding of its operational me- chanics during the last two decades. These have mostly been at the biochemical level of structure and function. Throughout history, as one of the mysteries of nature begins to yield some insights into its function, it has been beneficial to look at it from different points of view. We have developed a volume on movement disorders that is primarily directed toward the biochemical understanding of these disorders and their treatment. Each disorder is presented from several points of view. Although this approach leads to some repetition, it is our aim that the final outcome be a more complete understanding. Much has been written about movement: the beauty of the prima ballerina, the strength of the olympic athlete, and the agility of the surgeon. Seldom do we stop to look beneath the surface-the coordination of muscle groups, the finely tuned balance allowing rapid response in either direction, the individual muscle fibers coordinated to maximize strength and agility, and the nerve fibers connecting muscle with nerve centers. Some of these communicate sensory input of position to the centers while others communicate directions of move- ment to muscles. We encourage our readers to be constantly alert to the possibility of in- creasing their understanding of other nervous system functions, including thought disorder, through an understanding of movement, either in general principle or by specific chemical interaction.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/04/2012
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight810 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byAlexander G. Donald,N. S. Shah
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.