All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most influential and controversial team owners in professional sports history, Walter O'Malley (1903-79) is best remembered - and still reviled by many - for having moved the Dodgers from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. Yet much of the O'Malley story leading up to the Dodgers' move is unkwn or created from myth, and there is substantially more to the man. When he entered the public eye, he presented a self-constructed family background and history of his early life designed to enhance his image. Later, his personal story was distorted by some New York sportswriters who hated him for moving the Dodgers. In Mover and Shaker, Andy McCue presents for the first time an objective, complete, and nuanced account of O'Malley's life. He also departs from the overly sentimentalized accounts of O'Malley as either villain or angel and reveals him first and foremost as a rational, hardheaded businessman who was a major force in baseball for three decades and whose management and marketing practices radically changed the shape of the game.
- Author BiographyAndy McCue is the author of Baseball by the Books: The Complete History and Bibliography of Baseball Fiction and is a former president of the Society for American Baseball Research.
- Author(s)Andy McCue
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1 figure, 3 tables
- Weight676 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.