All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionThis new collection of essays surveys the history of dance in an invative and wide-ranging fashion. Editors Dils and Albright address the current dearth of comprehensive teaching material in the dance history field through the creation of a multifaceted, n-linear, yet well-structured and comprehensive survey of select moments in the development of both American and World dance. This book is illustrated with over 50 photographs, and would make an ideal text for undergraduate classes in dance ethgraphy, criticism or appreciation, as well as dance history particularly those with a cross-cultural, contemporary, or an American focus. The reader is organized into four thematic sections which allow for varied and individualized course use: Thinking about Dance History: Theories and Practices, World Dance Traditions, America Dancing, and Contemporary Dance: Global Contexts. The editors have structured the readings with the understanding that contemporary theory has thoroughly questioned the discursive construction of history and the resultant canization of certain dances, texts and points of view. The historical readings are presented in a way that encourages thoughtful analysis and allows the opportunity for critical engagement with the text.
- Author BiographyANN DILS is a professor of dance at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and coeditor of Dance, Place, and Identity. ANN COOPER ALBRIGHT is chair of the Dance Department at Oberlin College, coeditor of Taken by Surprise, and author of Choreographing Difference, Traces of Light, and Modern Gestures.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication31/07/2001
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note55 illus.
- Weight1225 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byAnn Cooper Albright,Ann Dils
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.