All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMoving Together examines contemporary dance from both a theoretical and a practical perspective, with interactions between the two. The author analyses three important tendencies in contemporary dance: pure dance, dance theatre, and (self-) reflexive dance. He proposes a theoretical, conceptual framework, and through extensive dialogues with choreographers he investigates how artistic cooperation results in dance. Clearly written, meticulously researched and theoretically enriching, Rudi Laermans' first-hand accounts of key performances by some of the most influential names that have defined contemporary choreography since the mid-1980s make us see how crucial the Flemish dance scene has been for the development of contemporary experimental dance-and therefore, how it has also been a strong influence in those discourses that inform the reception and perception of international dance today. Absolutely essential. --Andre Lepecki, Associate Professor in Performance Studies, New York University.Rudi Laermans is Professor of Social Theory at the University of Leuven (Belgium) and a regular guest teacher at P.A.R.T.S., the Brussels-based international school for contemporary dance headed by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker. As an academic, he has published widely in both national and international journals and books within the areas of social theory, cultural sociology and the sociology of the arts. Also active as a critic and essayist, he published numerous articles on contemporary dance and is one of the leading voices on, and partly also within, the Flemish dance field.
- Author(s)Rudi Laermans
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note20 b & w illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width210 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.