All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis wise and friendly guide to Mozart's operas encompasses the full range of his most popular works--Figaro, Don Giovanni, Cosi, Magic Flute, Seraglio, Clemenza di Tito--as well as lesser kwn works like Mitridate and Il re Pastore. Music historian Mary Hunter provides a lively introduction to each opera for any listener who has enjoyed a performance, either on the stage or in a video recording, and who wishes to understand the opera more fully. The Companion includes a sypsis and commentary on each work, as well as background information on the three main genres in which Mozart wrote: opera seria, opera buffa, and Singspiel. An essay on the anatomy of a Mozart opera points out the musical conventions with which the composer worked and suggests ntechnical ways to think about his musical choices. The book also places modern productions of the operas in historical context and explores how modern directors, producers, and conductors present Mozart's works today. Filled with factual information and interesting issues to ponder while watching a performance, this guide will appeal to newcomers and seasoned opera aficionados alike.
- Author BiographyMary Hunter is A. Leroy Greason Professor of Music, Bowdoin College, and author of The Culture of Opera Buffa in Mozart's Vienna. She lives in Lewiston, ME.
- Author(s)Mary Hunter
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication19/09/2008
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note16pp plate section
- Weight676 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.