All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAuthor, illustrator, printmaker and natural historian, John William Lewin created the first illustrated book ever published in Australia - Birds of New South Wales, in 1813. Featuring more than 150 exquisite artworks, Mr JW Lewin takes a fascinating look at Lewin's life and work, his place in colonial Australian society and the natural history craze that swept the world at that time. When Lewin arrived in New South Wales in 1800, the fledgling colony was by no means a favoured destination for artistic, ambitious Englishmen. Yet to Lewin, Australia was simply 'the finest country in the world', and it offered him the respectability and social standing he could never have found in England. Written by Richard Neville, Mitchell Librarian at the State Library of New South Wales, this book is a visually stunning testament to Lewin's artistic legacy.
- Author BiographyRichard Neville is the Mitchell Librarian at the State Library of New South Wales. He researches and publishes widely on Australian colonial art and culture, and has curated major exhibitions on Australian portraiture.
- Author(s)Richard Neville
- PublisherUNSW Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintUNSW Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1000 g
- Width215 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $5.79New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.