All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLonglisted for a UK Guardian First Book Award Love is a bygone idea, centuries-worn. There are things we can go without, and love is among them; bread and a warm hearth are t. In September 1870 a train leaves Manchester bound for London. On board is Lizzie Burns, a poor worker from the Irish slums, embarking on the journey that will change her forever. Sitting in the first-class carriage beside her lover, the wealthy mill-owner Frederick Engels, the vision of a life of peace and comfort takes shape before her eyes. But as Lizzie soon learns 'the world doesn't happen how you think it will. The secret is to soften to it, and to take its blows.'
- PrizesShortlisted for Desmond Elliott Prize 2016 and Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction 2016.
- Author(s)Gavin McCrea
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication27/01/2016
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2016
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Weight332 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.06
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $52.03Trending at AU $61.25
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.