All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLike its companion From Tagus to the Ganges, this book deploys the concept of 'connected histories' to shed important light on aspects of the history of early modern Eurasia. It reflects on two and a half centuries of Mughal-European relations, beginning with the early years of the Mughals in India, and ending with the eighteenth century. The volume demonstrates that the interface and balance of power between the Mughals and the Europeans are an integral part of a wider system of international political alliances. Sanjay Subrahmanyam introduces the idea of 'contained conflict', which is used as a paradigm to study political and commercial relations in the period. He also questions the lines of political and cultural division that traditional history writing has accepted. This will interest students and scholars of Indian and South Asian history, medieval history, early modern India, as well as politics.
- Author BiographySanjay Subrahmanyam is Professor, Department of History, Centre for India and South Asia, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA. He is also former Professor of Indian History and Culture, University of Oxford and former professor of economic history, Delhi School of Economics. Also, taught at Paris as Directeur d'etudes in the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales.
- Author(s)Sanjay Subrahmanyam
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication03/11/2011
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Note1 map
- Weight352 g
- Width157 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.