All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the founder of Islam Muhammad is one of the most influential figures in history. The furor surrounding the Satanic Verses and the Danish cartoon crisis reminded the world of the tremendous importance of the prophet of Islam, Muhammad. Learning about his life and understanding its importance, however, has always proven difficult. Our kwledge of Muhammad comes from the biography of him written by his followers, but Western historians have questioned the reliability of this story in their quest to uncover the 'historical Muhammad'. As modern controversies have shown, whatever the truth about Muhammad's life, his persona has taken on numerous shapes and played a crucial role in Muslim life and civilization. This Very Short Introduction provides an introduction to the major aspects of Muhammad's life and its importance, providing both the Muslim and Western historical perspectives. It also explains the prominent roles that Muhammad's persona has played in the Islamic world, from the medieval to the modern period. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyJonathan A.C. Brown is Assistant Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations at the University of Washington. He has studied and conducted research in Egypt, Syria, Turkey, Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Iran. He has published in the fields of Hadith, Islamic law, Sufism, Arabic lexical theory and Pre-Islamic poetry.
- Author(s)Jonathan A. C. Brown
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication24/03/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note10 black and white halftones
- Weight128 g
- Width107 mm
- Height171 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.