All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $34.04Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $48.47
- AU $17.94Trending at AU $27.22
- AU $18.68Trending at AU $20.99
- AU $14.22Trending at AU $25.86
- AU $23.05Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $23.68
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it mean to young people to be multilingual? What do multilingual speakers' linguistic resources mean to them? Are they happy to discard their languages, and assimilate to English, or are there other issues at stake? Do communities set out to ensure that their languages are maintained and passed on to the next generation, and if so, how, and why? What if speakers appropriate and make use of linguistic resources t typically associated with their 'ethnic' or 'heritage' group? Is there consensus about the role and value of particular sets of linguistic resources, or is this contested, and negotiated? How do negotiations about linguistic resources and identities play out in institutional contexts, and what language practices are used in these negotiations? Adrian Blackledge and Angela Creese address these questions, taking a critical perspective to examine issues such as nationalism, heritage, culture, identity negotiation, ideology and power. They offer responses from their detailed investigations of the language practices of multilingual young people and their teaching experiences in complementary schools in four cities in England. As a comprehensive examination of the issues surrounding multilingualism, it will be essential reading for advanced students and researchers of sociolinguistics and multilingualism.
- Author BiographyAdrian Blackledge is Professor of Bilingualism at the School of Education, University of Birmingham, UK. Angela Creese is Professor of Educational Linguistics at the School of Education, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Author(s)Adrian Blackledge,Angela Creese
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/12/2009
- Series TitleAdvances in Sociolinguistics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight551 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.