All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMultimedia: A Critical Introduction is a comprehensive guide to the new media form which has resulted from the application of computer techlogy to existing techniques of broadcasting and telecommunications transmission. The rapid growth of multimedia techlogies such as the internet, e-mail and digital television holds the promise of a new 'information age' in which individual tastes are catered for, citizens become better informed, and new wealth is created. But are new media techlogies really designed to achieve these utopian aims? Multimedia: a critical introduction provides a historical, cultural and political context to the development of multimedia, as both a techlogy and a concept. Individual chapters address: * the origins of multimedia in the unlikely interaction between the military and 1960s counter-culture: how the phemenal US budgets allocated to US military research resulted in the microchip, and why the efforts of counter-culture computer hobbyists evolved into a multi-billion dollar industry. *the wider democratic and cultural implications of multimedia in the wake of the deregulation of the media industries by 'new right' governments in the 1980s, which has led to the domination of the media by transnational conglomerates. * issues of privacy and censorship in relation to new media, including discussion of cryptography, electronic surveillance, and attempts to regulate material such as porgraphy on the internet. * the use of digital techlogy to create special effects in feature films.
- Author BiographyRichard Wise is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Media Arts at the University of Luton.
- Author(s)Richard Wise
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/1999
- SubjectSoftware Packages
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white tables
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byJeanette Steemers
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.