CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionRepresenting the state of the art in multimedia applications and their promise for enhancing early literacy development, this volume broadens the field of reading research by looking beyond print-only experiences to young readers' encounters with multimedia stories on the Internet and DVD. Multimedia storybooks include, in addition to static pictures and written text, features such as oral text, animations, sounds, zooms, and scaffolds designed to help convey meaning. These features are changing how young children read text, and also provide techlogy-based scaffolds for helping struggling readers. Multimedia and Literacy Development reports experimental research and practices with multimedia stories indicating that new dimensions of media contribute to young children's ability to understand stories and to read texts independently. This is the first synthesis of evidence-based research in this field. Four key themes are highlighted: * Understanding the multimedia environment for learning * Designing multimedia applications for learning * New approaches to storybook reading * Multimedia applications in classroom instruction. Written in jargon-free language for an international audience of students in university courses on literacy and information techlogy, researchers, policymakers, program developers, and media specialists, this volume is essential reading for all professionals interested in early literacy and early interventions.
- Author BiographyAdriana G. Bus is Professor at Leiden University, the Netherlands. Currently she is working with computer experts, instructional designers, and content specialists on building an Internet environment to promote rich literacy experiences for young children. Susan B. Neuman is Professor in Educational Studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor USA, specializing in early literacy development. Previously, she directed the Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement (CIERA) and served as the U.S. Assistant Secretary for Elementary and Secondary Education.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAdriana G. Bus,Susan Neuman
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.