Multitudinous Heart: Selected Poems by Carlos Drummond De Andrade (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.80Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe most indispensable poems of Brazil's greatest poet Brazil, according to less an observer than Elizabeth Bishop, is a place where poets hold a place of hor. Among men, the name of poet' is sometimes used as a compliment or term of affection, even if the person referred to is . . . t a poet at all. One of the most famous twentieth-century poets, Manuel Bandeira, was presented with a permanent parking space in front of his apartment house in Rio de Janeiro, with an enamelled sign POETA although he never owned a car and didn't kw how to drive. In a culture like this, it is difficult to underestimate the importance of the nation's greatest poet, Carlos Drummond de Andrade. Drummond, the most emblematic Brazilian poet, was a master of transforming the ordinary world, through language, into the sublime. His poems musical protests, twisted hymns, dissonant celebrations of imperfection are transcriptions of life itself recorded by a magnanimous outcast. As he put it in his Seven-Sided Poem : When I was born, one of those twisted / angels who live in the shadows said: / Carlos, get ready to be a misfit in life!' . . . World so wide, world so large, / my heart's even larger. Multitudius Heart, the most generous selection of Drummond's poems available in English, gathers work from the various phases of this restless, brilliant modernist. Richard Zenith's selection and translation brings us a more vivid and surprising poet than we knew.
- Author BiographyCarlos Drummond de Andrade (1902 1987) was born in a small town in Minas Gerais. While he spent most of his life working as a government bureaucrat, he regarded poetry as his true vocation, and his first book was published in 1930. During six decades of writing, his work went through many phases, transcending styles and schools while being strongly influenced by modernism. Few critics or serious readers would dispute his status as Brazil's greatest poet. Richard Zenith lived in Brazil and France before immigrating to Portugal in 1987. He has translated the poetry of Luis de Camoes, Fernando Pessoa, Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen, and Joao Cabral de Melo Neto.
- Author(s)Carlos Drummond De Andrade
- PublisherFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Date of Publication23/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byTranslator Richard Zenith
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.