All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his book,Murakami Haruki, Dr. Michael Seats offers an important philosophical intervention in the discussion of the relationship between Murakami's fiction and contemporary Japanese culture. Breaking through conventional analysis, Seats demonstrates how Murakami's first and later trilogies utilize the structure of the simulacrum, a second-order representation, to develop a complex critique of contemporary Japanese culture. By outlining the critical-fictional contours of the Murakami Phemen, the discussion confronts the vexing question of Japanese modernity and subjectivity within the contexts of the national-cultural imaginary. Seats finds mirroring comparisons between Murakami's works and practices in current media-entertainment techlogies, indicating a new politics of representation.Murakami Haruki is a critical text for scholars and students of Japanese Studies and Critical Theory, and is an essential guide for those interested in modern Japanese literature.
- Author BiographyMichael R. Seats is senior lecturer in the Division of Language Studies at City University of Hong Kong.
- Author(s)Michael Robert Seats
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication28/05/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies of Modern Japan
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight576 g
- Width154 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.