All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDevon is well kwn as a tourist destination, but its many historic towns and windswept cliffs have darker and more sinister stories to tell. These tales from Devon's past reveal the county's connections with famous murder cases. Within these pages are accounts of Robert James Lees, the Ilfracombe spiritualist who claimed to have unmasked Jack the Ripper; Charles De Ville Wells, the Plymouth-based fraudster who famously broke the bank at Monte Carlo; Herbert Rowse Armstrong, the former Newton Abbot solicitor who remains the only member of his profession to be executed for murder; Lord Frederick Cavendish, the Duke of Devonshire's son who was assassinated in Dublin; Oscar Wilde, whose downfall was initiated by an incriminating letter sent from Babbacombe; and Robert Hichens, the helmsman of the Titanic who later in life was jailed for attempted murder in Torquay.
- Author BiographyMike Holgate has written five Tempus books and two for Nonsuch. Mike works for Torbay Services and regularly contributes articles to Devon Life. He lives in Torquay.
- Author(s)Mike Holgate
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2007
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Series TitleMurder & Crime
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content Note70
- Weight230 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.