All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGreat Britain has for many centuries been one of the world's great sea-faring nations. The Royal Navy has defended her territory and the merchant fleet has been instrumental in creating the nation's wealth. The courage, industry and exploits of many of her sailors and the names of the ships in which they served have become legendary. However, the sea has also provided the backdrop to great crimes and for Murder on the High Seas, the author has selected murders that have been committed in many parts of the globe on board different types of vessels, over a period of more than one hundred years. The motives behind these crimes have included revenge, lust, greed and survival. Nevertheless, they share one common feature as all of those accused of responsibility were brought back to Great Britain to stand trial. Among these fascinating accounts is a description of the trial of the survivors of a shipwreck who killed and fed on a shipmate. Also included is the murder by slavers of several Royal Navy seamen who were part of the West Africa Squadron, formed to put an end to the slave trade of the South Atlantic.
- Author BiographyMartin Baggoley was born in Eccles, Lancashire. He began his working life in the civil service but in the mid-seventies, he trained as a probation officer. Baggoley has a master's degree in criminology and has contributed articles and book reviews to professional journals in the United Kingdom and USA. He has also written several true crime books, which reflect his interest in 19th-century murder. A lifelong Manchester City supporter, he is now retired and lives in Ramsbottom.
- Author(s)Martin Baggoley
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note33 black and white illustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.