All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionMenna Elfyn's latest collection in Welsh and English is full of murmurings, such as the need 'to walk the earth as if there's a baby sleeping next door'. Murmur is a poetry of meditation, from the reverberations of dead poets to murmurs of the heart which force the poet to dwell on the irregular beat of the poet's lot. Distant sounds too are heard from captivity in a sequence of poems about the last princess of Wales, Catrin Glyndwr, daughter of Owain Glyndwr, who was incarcerated with her children in the Tower of London for over two years until their mysterious death. Fittingly eugh, mur-mur in Welsh also means wall-wall , so the book's leitmotif is one that stresses the distance between words and worlds - and the way poetry is a language beyond language which we can sometimes only grasp through sound. Menna Elfyn is the best-kwn, most travelled and most translated of all Welsh-language poets. The extraordinary international range of her subjects, breathtaking inventiveness and generosity of vision place her among Europe's leading poets. Murmur is her first new book since Perfect Blemish: New & Selected Poems / Perffaith Nam: Dau Ddetholiad & Cherddi Newydd 1995-2007 , and includes translations of poems by Welsh folk hero and poet of peace Waldo Williams (1901-71) which challenge the tion of the Celtic melancholy and testify to a 'hesitant hope'. Her own poems have facing English translations by leading Welsh poets: Elin ap Hywel, Joseph Clancy, Gillian Clarke, Damian Walford Davies and Paul Henry.
- Author BiographyMenna Elfyn is a poet and playwright who writes with passion of the Welsh language and identity. She has published nine poetry collections and three children's novels in Welsh, and also co-edited The Bloodaxe Book of Modern Welsh Poetry (2003) with John Rowlands. Her two bilingual selections, Eucalyptus: Detholiad o Gerddi / Selected Poems 1978-1994 from Gomer and Perfect Blemish: New & Selected Poems / Perffaith Nam: Dau Ddetholiad & Cherddi Newydd 1995-2007 (2007) from Bloodaxe were followed by her most recent bilingual collection, Murmur (2012), also from Bloodaxe. When not travelling the world for readings and residencies, she lives in Llandysul. She was Wales's National Children's Laureate in 2002.
- Author(s)Menna Elfyn
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/09/2012
- LanguageEnglish & Welsh
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Weight181 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Translated byElinor ap Hywel,Gillian Clarke,Paul Henry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.