All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver recent decades, many museums, galleries and historic sites around the world have enjoyed an unprecedented level of large-scale investment in their capital infrastructure, in building refurbishments and new gallery displays. This period has also seen the creation of countless new purpose-built museums and galleries, suggesting a fundamental re-evaluation of the processes of designing and shaping of museums. Museum Making: Narratives, Architectures, Exhibitions examines this re-making by exploring the inherently spatial character of narrative in the museum and its potential to connect on the deepest levels with human perception and imagination. Through this uniting theme, the chapters explore the power of narratives as structured experiences unfolding in space and time as well as the use of theatre, film and other techlogies of storytelling by contemporary museum makers to generate meaningful and, it is argued here, highly effective and affective museum spaces. Contributions by an internationally diverse group of museum and heritage professionals, exhibition designers, architects and artists with academics from a range of disciplines including museum studies, theatre studies, architecture, design and history cut across traditional boundaries including the historical and the contemporary and together explore the various roles and functions of narrative as a mechanism for the creation of engaging and meaningful interpretive environments.
- Author BiographySuzanne MacLeod is Senior Lecturer in the School of Museum Studies, University of Leicester. Laura Hourston Hanks is Associate Professor in the Department of Architecture and Built Environment, University of Nottingham. Jonathan Hale is an architect and Reader in Architectural Theory at the University of Nottingham.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/02/2012
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleMuseum Meanings
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables
- Weight566 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJonathan Hale,Laura Hourston Hanks,Suzanne MacLeod
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.