All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood scientists will dig into this robust reference on mushrooms Mushrooms as Functional Foods is a compendium of current research on the chemistry and biology, nutritional and medicinal value, and the use of mushrooms in the modern functional foods industry. Topics covered range from the agricultural production of mushrooms to the use of molecular biological techniques like functional gemics; from nutritional values of newly cultivated mushroom species to the multifunctional effects of the unconventional form of mushroom (sclerotium); from the physiological benefits and pharmacological properties of bioactive components in mushrooms to the regulation of their use as functional foods and dietary supplements in different parts of the world. With contributions from leading experts worldwide, this comprehensive reference: * Reviews trends in mushroom use and research, with extensive information on emerging species * Includes coverage of cultivation, physiology, and genetics * Highlights applications in functional foods and medicinal use * Covers worldwide regulations and safety issues of mushrooms in functional foods and dietary supplements * Discusses the classification, identification, and commercial collection of newly cultivated mushroom species * Features a color insert with photographs of different types of mushrooms This is an integrated, single-source reference for undergraduates majoring in food science and nutrition, postgraduates, and professional food scientists and techlogists working in the functional food area, and medical and health science professionals interested in alternative medicines and natural food therapies.
- Author BiographyPETER C.K. CHEUNG, PhD , is the Director of Studies for the Food and Nutritional Sciences Programme in the Department of Biology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Professor Cheung is the author or coauthor of more than 150 publications (including journal articles, patents, technical papers, and conference abstracts). He is a current member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms and a member of the advisory committee of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry and a member of the board of Journal of Food Composition and Analysis.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication10/10/2008
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight546 g
- Width164 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byPeter C. Cheung
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.