All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines music stores as sites of cultural production in contemporary India. Analyzing social practices of selling music in a variety of retail contexts, it focuses upon the ecomic and social values that are produced and circulated by music retailers in the marketplace. Based upon research conducted over a volatile ten-year period of the Indian music industry, Beaster-Jones discusses the cultural histories of the recording industry, the social changes that have accompanied India's ecomic liberalization reforms, and the ecomic realities of selling music in India as digital circulation of music recordings gradually displaced physical distribution. The volume considers the mobilization of musical, ecomic, and social values as a component of branding discourses in neoliberal India, as a justification for new regimes of legitimate use and intellectual property, as a scene for the performance of cosmopolitanism by shopping, and as a site of anxiety about transformations in the marketplace. It relies upon ethgraphic observation and interviews from a variety of sources within the Indian music industry, including perspectives of executives at music labels, family-run and corporate music stores, and hawkers in street markets selling counterfeit recordings. This ethgraphy of the practices, spaces, and anxieties of selling music in urban India will be an important resource for scholars in a wide range of fields, including ethmusicology, anthropology, popular music studies, and South Asian studies.
- Author BiographyJayson Beaster-Jones is Associate Professor of Music at the University of California, Merced, USA.
- Author(s)Jayson Beaster-Jones
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/06/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Ethnomusicology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note18 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 12 black & white halftones, 6 black & white line drawings
- Weight438 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.