Music Musique: French and American Piano Composition in the Jazz Age by Barbara Meister (Hardback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.85Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $53.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
About this product
- DescriptionMusic Musique is a study of American and French composers active in the late 19th through early 20th centuries and the influence of jazz on their compositional styles. Starting with a look at the formation of American and French styles of composition, Meister discusses the jazz influence on American composers such as Ives, Copland, and Seeger, and their reception in France. She then takes a parallel look at the jazz influence on prominent French composers such as Ravel, Milhaud, and Messiaen, with a conclusion that briefly outlines post-World War II musical developments. Considerable attention is paid to the social and political worlds in which these artists lived and created. Of particular interest is the community of Afro-American jazz musicians who settled in Paris after World War I, and their influence on the likes of Ravel, Milhaud, Satie, and other artists with New Orleans-based styles. Meister also discusses the more famous coteries of American writers who lived and worked in Paris during the 1920s and 1930s. The stories of these two groups of Americans in Paris form a fascinating background to the main topic of the book. Music Musique is intended for amateurs and experts alike; it provides ideas about repertoire as well as information about compositions that are likely to be heard in performance. The emphasis of the text is always on the pia solo literature or other pia music-song accompaniments, pia duets, or internal orchestral pia parts.
- Author BiographyBarbara Meister is author of Nineteenth-Century French Song (IUP, 1998). She is active as an accompanist, chamber musician, solo pianist, and lecturer on art songs. Her most recent CD is entitled Twentieth-Century American Music. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Barbara Meister
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/07/2006
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Out-of-print date28/01/2016
- Weight449 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.