All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMusic, Sound and Space is the first collection to integrate research from musicology and sound studies on music and sound as they mediate everyday life. Music and sound exert an inescapable influence on the contemporary world, from the ubiquity of MP3 players to the controversial use of sound as an instrument of torture. In this book, leading scholars explore the spatialisation of music and sound, their capacity to engender modes of publicness and privacy, their constitution of subjectivity, and the politics of sound and space. Chapters discuss music and sound in relation to distinctive genres, techlogies and settings, including sound installation art, popular music recordings, offices and hospitals, and music therapy. With international examples, from the Islamic soundscape of the Kenyan coast, to religious music in Europe, to First Nation musical sociability in Canada, this book offers a new global perspective on how music and sound and their spatialising capacities transform the nature of public and private experience.
- Author BiographyGeorgina Born is Professor of Music and Anthropology at the University of Oxford. Formerly Professor of Sociology, Anthropology and Music at the University of Cambridge, she is currently directing the international research programme 'Music, Digitisation, Mediation: Towards Interdisciplinary Music Studies', funded by The European Research Council. Her publications include Rationalizing Culture: IRCAM, Boulez, and the Institutionalization of the Musical Avant-Garde (1995), Western Music and Its Others: Difference, Representation and Appropriation in Music (edited with D. Hesmondhalgh, 2000), Uncertain Vision: Birt, Dyke and the Reinvention of the BBC (2005) and the forthcoming Interdisciplinarity: Reconfigurations of the Social and Natural Sciences (edited with A. Barry).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/01/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note16 b/w illus.
- Weight800 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byGeorgina Born
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.