All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMusic therapy is an internationally recognised field of professional evidence-based practice. Qualified music therapists use the engaging, n-verbal aspects of music to create relationships in which therapeutic goals can be pursued and needs of clients addressed. This is the first book to focus specifically on the ways that music therapists provide support for the development of the special and necessary bond between parents and their infants, where some vulnerability is experienced. In the book, music therapists from four countries, Australia, Ireland, the UK and the US describe their practices with reference to contemporary theory and research. Throughout, the chapters are illustrated with engaging case material. Many of the authors are the world leaders in the area of music therapy to promote parent and infant bonding. Others are having their first opportunity to describe their work publicly in print. The focus in each chapter is on the need for this work, the theoretical underpinnings of the practice, and the music therapy practice itself. The book is arranged in 3 sections. The first section covers work in therapy sessions with children and their parents. The second section describes programmes where the music therapist leads a group of parents with their infants, such as the rewned Sing & Grow in Australia. The final section presents work with medical patients and their families including in the neonatal intensive care unit, and for cancer patients. The book will be valuable for music therapy practitioners and students, and more broadly for all those in the field of infant mental health.
- Author BiographyProfessor Jane Edwards is a qualified music therapist with expertise in research, theory and practice with families and young children. Originally from Australia she directed the first music therapy courses at the University of Queensland before coming to Ireland to lead the development of music therapy training and research at the University of Limerick. She is the inaugural President of the International Association for Music & Medicine. She is the director of the Music & Health Research Group at the University of Limerick.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication07/07/2011
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight348 g
- Width148 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byJane Edwards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.