All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of T. W. Ador's greatest philosophical achievements, The Philosophy of Modern Music, continues to be one of his most misunderstood. Many scholars take Ador's book literally although he never meant it to be perceived solely in that way. This study focuses on the literal, symbolic, and metaphorical dimensions of The Philosophy of Modern Music. It explains Ador's cryptical style of writing and reveals how he uses the works of Schoenberg and Stravinsky to discuss kitsch and avant-garde art during the rise of fascism in Germany. It also highlights Ador's subtle critique of the aesthetic ideas of Benjamin, Hegel, Freud, Jung, and others. Ador intended The Philosophy of Modern Music to be a Flaschenpost, a message in a bottle, able to maintain its analytical rigor through time. This study shows that when one applies his insights from The Philosophy of Modern Music to present-day cultural practices, they seem more relevant than ever.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Bhesham R. Sharma received his Ph.D. from the University of Edinburgh and has taught music at universities and colleges in North America, Europe, and Asia. He has published articles in professional music and anthropological journals. Dr. Sharma is also a composer and a performer. As a guitarist, he has played prestigious classical and jazz engagements on four continents and his compositions have been performed extensively.
- Author(s)Bhesham R. Sharma
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/2000
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleNew Studies in Aesthetics
- Series Part/Volume Number31
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight440 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.