All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt first glance, two experiences could be further apart than gecide and music. Yet real, live culture usually goes beyond rational divisions. It is w fairly commonly kwn that art is t absent from the sites of mass killings. Both victims and prosecutors engage in artistic activities in prisons and camps, as well as at other places where gecides take place. What is the music of gecide? Can the experience of ultimate terror be expressed in music? How does music reflect on gecide? How do we perceive music after gecide? What is music and what is silence in a world marked by mass killings? Is post-gecidal silence really possible or appropriate? The goal of the volume is to reveal and, maybe even to some extent, resolve the most profound dilemma that was expressed by Theodor W. Ador when he asked -whether it is even permissible for someone who accidentally escaped and by all rights ought to have been murdered, to go on living after Auschwitz.- It is t for the sake of pure curiosity that the relation between music and gecide is examined. In a sense we are all survivors who accidentally escaped gecide. It might have happened to us. It may still happen.
- Author BiographyWojciech Klimczyk (PhD) and Agata Swierzowska (PhD) are university lecturers at the Centre for Comparative Studies of Civilisations (CCSC) at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow (Poland). Since its foundation in 1996, the Centre for Comparative Studies of Civilizations (CCSC) has forged a distinct identity and earned a solid reputation as an interdisciplinary research and academic department unparalleled in Central Europe.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication27/03/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleStudies in Social Sciences, Philosophy and History of Ideas
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note5 Notenbeispiele enthalten
- Weight420 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAgata Swierzowska,Klimczyk Wojciech
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.