All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
About this product
- DescriptionMusic and the Commedia dell'Arte narrates the story of the most famous commedia dell'arte troupe of the late Renaissance, focusing in particular on the representation of women on stage and on the role of music-making in their craft. In its thorough integration of the fields of music history, theatre history, performance studies, women's studies and Classics, this is the first comprehensive analysis of the leading actresses of the Compagnia dei Gelosi and their contributions to the Renaissance stage. Including an extensive survey of documents concerning comedians, their patrons, colleagues and audiences, Music and the Commedia dell'Arte provides a rich context for the study of musical-theatrical performance before the advent of opera and re-defines our perceptions of women, music and theatre in the Renaissance.
- Author BiographyAnne MacNeil is a Fellow of the American Academy in Rome and currently holds a faculty appointment at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. With an extensive background in both scholarship and performance studies, Professor MacNeil makes appearances internationally as both a speaker and visiting scholar. Her previous academic appointments include the University of Texas at Austin and Northwestern University.
- Author(s)Anne MacNeil
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication16/01/2003
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notenumerous halftones and music examples
- Weight655 g
- Width145 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.