Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $75.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMusic in the Nineteenth Century examines the period from the Congress of Vienna in 1815 to the advent of Modernism in the 1890s. Frisch traces a complex web of relationships involving composers, performers, publishers, tated scores, oral traditions, audiences, institutions, cities, and nations. The book's central themes include middle-class involvement in music, the rich but elusive concept of Romanticism, the cult of virtuosity, and the ever-changing balance between musical and commercial interests. The final chapter considers the sound world of nineteenth-century music as captured by contemporary witnesses and early recordings. Western Music in Context: A Norton History comprises six volumes of moderate length, each written in an engaging style by a recognized expert. Authoritative and current, the series examines music in the broadest sense-as sounds tated, performed, and heard-focusing t only on composers and works, but also on broader social and intellectual currents.
- Author BiographyWalter Frisch is H. Harold Gumm/Harry and Albert von Tilzer Professor of Music at Columbia University. He is the author of numerous books and articles, including Brahms: The Four Symphonies, The Early Works of Arnold Schoenberg 1903-1908, and German Modernism: Music and the Arts. He is the recipient of two ASCAP-Deems Taylor Awards and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, and the Center for Scholars and Writers at the New York Public Library.
- Author(s)Walter Frisch
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication02/11/2012
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleWestern Music in Context: A Norton History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, music
- Weight510 g
- Width155 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Series Edited byWalter Frisch
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.