All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.73Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionJoseph Auner's Music in the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries explores the sense of possibility unleashed by the era's destabilizing military conflicts, social upheavals, and techlogical advances. Auner shows how the multiplicity of musical styles has called into question traditional assumptions about compositional practice, the boundaries of music and ise, and the relationship among composer, performer, and listener. He also shows how composers and their works have played important roles in defining ideas of nation, race, and gender, and thus in shaping the modern world for better and worse. Western Music in Context: A Norton History comprises six volumes of moderate length, each written in an engaging style by a recognized expert. Authoritative and current, the series examines music in the broadest sense-as sounds tated, performed, and heard-focusing t only on composers and works, but also on broader social and intellectual currents.
- Author BiographyJoseph Auner is Chair and Professor of Music at Tufts University. His publications include A Schoenberg Reader, The Cambridge Companion to Schoenberg (with Jennifer Shaw), and Postmodern Music/Postmodern Thought (with Judith Lochhead). A past editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American Musicological Society, Auner is the recipient of grants from the Getty Center for the Arts and Humanities, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. Walter Frisch is H. Harold Gumm/Harry and Albert von Tilzer Professor of Music at Columbia University. He is the author of numerous books and articles, including Brahms: The Four Symphonies, The Early Works of Arnold Schoenberg 1903-1908, and German Modernism: Music and the Arts. He is the recipient of two ASCAP-Deems Taylor Awards and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, and the Center for Scholars and Writers at the New York Public Library.
- Author(s)Joseph Auner
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication25/06/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Series Edited byWalter Frisch
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.