All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionIn this remarkable study, Robert R. Faulkner shows that the Hollywood film industry, like most work communities, is dominated by a highly productive and visible elite who exercise major influence on the control of available resources, career chances, and access to opportunity. Faulkner traces a network of connections that bind together filmmakers (employers) and composers (employees) and reveals how work is allocated among composers and the division of labor within the Hollywood film community, using statistical analysis and highly revealing personal interviews. One of the very first empirical studies in the new ecomic sociology, Music on Demand shows the dynamics of markets constituted by the interaction between buyers and artistic talent (the producers and directors of feature films) and the sellers of artistic talent (the composers of film scores). Faulkner's interviews with those composers considered to be elite and those on the industry's periphery reveal how they perceive their careers, how they define commercial artistic success, and how they establish, or try to establish, those vital connections with filmmakers. Now available in paperback, this pioneering study will be of compelling interest to researchers in culture studies as well as readers interested in learning more about this little-kwn world.
- Author BiographyRobert R. Faulkner is professor of sociology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. He received his Ph.D. in sociology from the University of California and is the author of Hollywood Studio Musicians: Their Work and Careers in the Recording Industry. He is the recipient of the American Sociological Association's Max Weber Award for Distinguished Scholarship.
- Author(s)Robert R. Faulkner
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/04/2003
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.