All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMusical Childhoods is a culmination of more than a decade of research driven by the fact that music has been neglected in early childhood programs in favour of literacy and numeracy. Recent research has identified a connection between academic performance and musical programs and this has given music a renewed status in many schools. This book promotes the idea of children's competence in the use of the language of music and argues that all children have a right to participate in musical discovery and celebrates children's engagement with meaningful and disparate experiences in music. Written by leading practitioners and researchers in the field, this book seeks to reaffirm children's communicative competence when exposed to high quality musical experience, provide new perspectives on children's ability to engage with music in many diverse forms and explore and promote the role of the musician as an artist and teacher. The book is structured into three parts: * The theoretical overview * The children, the musicians and the music * The research through the eyes of the protagonist and looking into the future Early childhood students, researchers and academics with a specific interest in music and musicality will find this an insightful read.
- Author BiographyBerenice Nyland is Associate Professor in early childhood at RMIT University in the School of Education, Australia. Aleksandra Acker is a practicing musician, and an early childhood academic in the School of Education, RMIT University, Australia. Jill Ferris is a practicing musician. She has been a music educator and a lecturer in music education at the School of Education, RMIT University, Australia. Jan Deans is Senior Lecturer in early childhood and Director of the Early Learning Centre at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Author(s)Aleksandra Acker,Berenice Nyland,Jan Deans,Jill Ferris
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note21 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 20 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.