All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionClaudia R. Jensen presents the first unified study of musical culture in the court and church of Muscovite Russia. Spanning the period from the installation of Patriarch Iov in 1589 to the beginning of Peter the Great's reign in 1694, her book offers detailed accounts of the celebratory musical performances for Russia's first patriarch-events that were important displays of Russian piety and power. Jensen emphasizes music's varied roles in Muscovite society and the equally varied opinions and influences surrounding it. In an attempt to demystify what has previously been an enigma to Western readers, she paints a clear picture of the dazzling splendor of musical performances and the ways in which 17th-century Muscovites employed music for spiritual enlightenment as well as entertainment.
- Author BiographyClaudia R. Jensen has published articles on Russian music in The Musical Quarterly and Journal of the American Musicological Society. She is editor (with Milos Velimirovi) of Nikolai Findeizen's History of Music in Russia from Antiquity to 1800 (IUP, 2007).
- Author(s)Claudia R. Jensen
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication05/10/2009
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleRussian Music Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note10 b&w illus., 27 music exx.
- Weight748 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.