All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Musical Form, Forms, and Formenlehre, three eminent music theorists reflect on the fundamentals of musical form. They discuss how to analyze form in music and question the relevance of analytical theories and methods in general. They illustrate their basic concepts andc oncerns by offering some concrete analyses of works by Mozart (Idomeneo Overture, Jupiter Symphony) and Beethoven (First and Pastoral Symphony, Egmont Overture, and Die Ruinen von Athen Overture). The volume is divided into three parts, focusing on Caplin's theory of formal functions, Hepokoski's concept of dialogic form, and Webster's method of multivalent analysis respectively. Each part begins with a basic essay by one of the three authors. Subsequently, the two opposing authors comment on issues and analyses they consider to be problematic or underdeveloped, in a style that ranges from the gently critical to the overtly polemical. Finally, the author of the initial essay is given the opportunity to reply to the comments, and to further refine his own fundamental ideas on musical form.
- Author BiographyJames Webster is the Goldwin Smith Professor of Music at Cornell University.
- Author(s)James Hepokoski,James Webster,William E. Caplin
- PublisherLeuven University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleStudies in Musical Form
- Place of PublicationLeuven
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintLeuven University Press
- Content Note1 illustration
- Weight514 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edited byPieter Berge
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.