All listings for this product
About this product
- Description[Keaton] provides the most in-depth analysis of the predicament of French Arabs and Africans living in the suburbs of Paris...[O]ne can read the book through the lens of such great African American writers and activists as Richard Wright, James Baldwin, and Malcolm X...[It] contains an implicit warning to you, France, t to repeat the American racism in your country. -from the foreword by Manthia Diawara Muslim girls growing up in the outer-cities of Paris are portrayed many ways in popular discourse-as oppressed, submissive, foreign, kids from the projects, even as veil-wearing menaces to France's national identity-but rarely are they perceived simply as what they say they are: French. Amid widespread perceptions of heightened urban violence attributed to Muslims and highly publicized struggles over whether Muslim students should be allowed to wear headscarves to school, Muslim girls often appear to be the quintessential other. In this vivid, evocative study, Trica Danielle Keaton draws on ethgraphic research in schools, housing projects, and other settings among Muslim teenagers of North and West African origin. She finds contradictions between the ideal of universalism and the lived reality of ethnic distinction and racialized discrimination. The author's own experiences as an African American woman and n-Muslim are key parts of her analysis. Keaton makes a powerful statement about identity, race, and educational politics in contemporary France.
- Author BiographyTrica Danielle Keaton is Assistant Professor in the Department of American Studies and the Institute for Global Studies at the University of Minnesota.
- Author(s)Trica Danielle Keaton
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note15 b&w photos, 1 index
- Weight391 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.